Sunteți pe pagina 1din 3

Anthropology 28: Linguistic Anthropology Summer 2012, May 21-June 29 Professor: Jennifer A.

Dickinson, Anthropology Department Office hours: Available to meet on campus or via skype, iChat or telephone. The best way to reach me is via email. Email: The best way to reach me is to email me using the "Messages" tool in the course by clicking on Messages in the course menu. I log on to the course almost every weekday, so you should receive a response to you email within 24 hours or less. Emails sent on the weekend may not receive a response until Monday morning. The Anthropology Department is in on the fifth floor of Williams Hall. You can reach the secretary at 802-656-3884. Please keep in mind that it very hot in Williams hall and I will not be in my office very often over the summer. The best way to contact me is via email within the course, or at my UVM email address: jennifer.dickinson@uvm.edu. If you use my UVM email, please mention "Linguistic Anthropology" or "Anth 028" in the subject line. Learning Objectives for this course This course offers students an introduction to the field of linguistic anthropology, which examines the close relationship between language and culture. Focusing on work that has been influential in anthropology, we will consider several key questions: How is language distinctly human, and how does it relate to other forms of communication? What is the relationship between the language we speak and the way we see, understand, and act in the world? Beyond communicating facts to one another, what role does language play in the way we live our lives as cultural beings? How do conversations, language choice, language learning, and so forth, contribute to the way people recognize and act in accordance with larger cultural patterns and values in society? Throughout the course, language as people actual use it, imagine it, or talk about it, will be our primary topic for reading and discussion as we draw on examples from languages and cultures throughout the world.Among the topics we will consider from the perspective of language and culture are: linguistic structure and cultural expression; language and gender, language and power, bilingualism, and language as a means of social action. Course Materials and Textbooks To use all of the materials for this course, you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.0 or higher. If you do not have this program, you can download it here. You will also need Quicktime to view some short video clips embedded in the course. You can download the latest version here.

There are two textbooks for this course, available for purchase at the UVM Bookstore and on reserve in the Bailey-Howe Library (second edition of Ottenheimer will be on reserve in the library): Ottenheimer, Harriet. 2012 The Anthropology of Language. Third Edition. ISBN: 111182875X Fallows, Deborah. 2010. Dreaming in Chinese. Walker Books. ISBN: 080277914X In addition, several REQUIRED articles have been uploaded to Blackboard. Links to the readings are in each module. There is also a folder with all of the readings in the Course Content menu area. Work Expectations This is a full-semester course condensed into 6 weeks. This means that you should plan to spend a bit more time on the class than you would on TWO face to face courses during the regular semester. This works out to about 20-25 hours a week spent on this class, or about four to five hours a day if you work on the course five days a week. Quizzes and regular assignments in the form of short papers make up only 60% of your grade for this course. The other 40% comes from other work posted to the online course, including discussion postings, blog entries, and wiki entries. Part of this 40% also includes "attendance," which means that you logged on to the course each day and either posted or read content. Communication There are three ways I will communicate with students in the class about course news, assignments, and other important information. When you log into this course each time, please look for new announcements on the opening page. You may want to check announcements within the last 7 days to make sure that you are up to date on news for the course.

You should also check your Bb messages by clicking on the Communications menu item. Check the Discussion Board for new postings. Your fellow students and I will often post interesting links, ideas, and discussion questions that you can respond to as part of your participation in the class.

Individual communication: To contact me, you should send me an email using the send messages tool in the Communications area of the main menu.

I am available by appointment for meetings in person or online using the chat tool. Most questions regarding the course can be answered over email. Except on weekends, I will answer emails within 24 hours. Emails sent after noon on Fridays may, in rare cases, not receive a response until Monday morning.